Well, we're almost at the one month mark and so much learning has taken place. Last night we had Korean night for family home evening and WonSeok taught us about many Korean things. We learning a little about Korean history and a few Korean phrases. We also learned that Koreans have a motto; Koreans always smiling (I'm sure it sounds a little better in Korean) and that the flower of Korea is the Rose of Sharon. (I was excited about that simply because I have a "Miss Kim" or Korean Rose of Sharon planted in my yard!)
It's been a little more time consuming hosting an exchange student than I thought. There are so many little things that we explain that I never thought about. Things like the difference between decorative towels and functional ones. Asking before getting into certain things and where each person sits at the dinner table. I have developed such a deep sense of awareness of my daily habits and surrounding that I am very grateful for the opportunity to improve myself through learning about another human being.
But when all is said and done, there is nothing more gratifying than being able to communicate with someone one the most basic levels. The opportunity to really seek understanding through deep concentration and listening. It's a chance to truly think about everything I say and force myself to be aware of perception and reception.
No comments:
Post a Comment